November 10 2016 25 Essential Digital Marketing Statistics The world of digital marketing is continually changing and as a digital marketer, it’s often hard to keep up with the pace. As we set our sights on planning for 2017, it’s valuable to review some key social media statistics, mobile statistics, user experience statistics, email marketing statistics and SEO statistics that have made 2016 so interesting. 2016 Social Media Statistics 72% of global internet users access some form of social media. That's 2.3 billion of the 3.1 billion total Internet users. (Source: slideshare.net) The average internet user has about 5 social media accounts (Source: globalwebindex.net) Twitter users are sending about 6,000 tweets sent per second, which adds up to well over 500 million tweets per day. (Source: internetlivestats.com) 88.9% of U.S. companies are now using some form of social media for marketing purposes. (Source: emarketer.com) 2016 Mobile Statistics 80% of global internet users own a smartphone. (Source: smartinsights.com) 89% of time spent with mobile media is in apps, with the remaining 11% being spent on mobile websites (Source: smartinsights.com) 72% of U.S digital advertising budgets will go towards mobile by 2019 (Source: marketingland.com) 88% of people who do a mobile search for a local business will call or visit that business within 24 hours. (Source: nectafy.com) A mobile offer is 10x more likely to be redeemed than a printed offer. (Source: emarketer.com) Android holds 6x the market share of iOS worldwide (82% vs 13%), but iOS holds 57% of the U.S. market share. (Source: idc.com) 2016 User Experience Statistics 44% of site visitors will leave a website if they cannot find a way to contact the business. (Source: komarketingassociates.com) 47% of site visitors look at product and service pages before looking at other offerings on a website. (Source: komarketingassociates.com) 39% of site visitors value fast load time, and will leave a site if it either takes too long to load or content on the site won’t load. (Source: adobe.com) Given 15 minutes to consume content, 2/3 of people would rather read something beautifully designed than something plain. (Source: adobe.com) 38% of people will stop engaging with a website if the content or layout isn’t attractive. (Source: adobe.com) Only 10% of small business websites get updated at least once a week. 33% are updated at least once per month, and 21% only once a year or more. (Source: emarketer.com) 2016 Email Marketing Statistics 18.7% is the median open rate for email for Banks & Financial Services companies, compared to 17.6% across all industries in the United States. (Source: silverpop.com) 1.4% is the median click through rate (CTR) for email for Banks & Financial Services, as well as the average across all industries in the U.S. (Source: silverpop.com) Email messages with a transactional conversion point saw received an average click through rate (CTR) of 4.8%, whereas promotional or branding emails received only an average CTR of 1.6%. (Source: silverpop.com) 37.3% of millennials say they’re most likely to click on an email if it contains a promotion or deal (Source: brightwave.com) 56% of brands do an annual major email redesign. (Source: litmus.com) 2016 SEO Statistics 72% of people who performed a search focused on local results visited a store within 5 miles. (Source: wordstream.com) There are an average of 6,586,013,574 online searches every day worldwide (Source: smartinsights.com) Google currently holds a 67.78% share of all search traffic, while Bing comes in second place with 13.27%. Yahoo accounts for 8.14% of search traffic. (Source: smartinsights.com) 94.95% of all clicks on search results go to organic listings. This leaves just over 5% going to pay per click (PPC) ads. (Source: similarweb.com) Inspired to talk about your digital needs with an agency that geeks out on this stuff? Let’s talk. Email Marketing Mobile Paid Advertising SEO Social Media Website posted by Patrick Trayes Associate Director of Client Analytics Share this article ZAG Interactive is a full-service digital agency in Glastonbury, CT, offering website design, development, marketing and digital strategy to clients nationwide. See current job openings.