If you were waiting for the right time to redevelop your website to be mobile-friendly, the time is now. This April, Google made one of their most significant search algorithm updates. Nicknamed Mobilegeddon by Search Engine Land, this algorithm actively seeks out websites that do not display well on mobile devices, and consequently penalize site owner’s search engine optimization (SEO) rankings. Additionally, Google has warned of possible consequences for the worst offenders, according to Search Engine Watch.
The algorithm update is followed by a recent Google announcement that for the first time, more searches come from smartphone devices than from laptops and desktops in 10 countries, including the United States.
What can website owners do?
First of all, don’t panic. There are several steps for website owners to do to catch up with the mobile revolution:
- Determine if your site is mobile-friendly: Google offers this free mobile-friendly test for website owners to determine if site is considered mobile-friendly. It’s an easy and quick way to find out if you get the "Awesome! This page is mobile-friendly" result.
- Understand what constitutes mobile-friendly: The Google team has also provided a cheat sheet outlining exactly what they are looking for. Here are a few of the common mistakes to be aware of:
- Slow-loading mobile pages
- Unplayable multimedia content
- Mobile-only 404 errors
- Faulty URL redirects
- Understand responsive design: If you don’t already know what responsive design is, it’s time to learn the basics. The good news is that most digital agencies are only designing sites using responsive design techniques, so if your site is up for a refresh, be sure to include responsive design on your must-have list. The bad news is that responsive design requires a rebuild of the site so if you invested before the “mobile revolution” it’s time to budget and prioritize accordingly.
Ready to create a powerful, beautiful responsive website?
Talk to a ZAG representative to understand what it will take to make the most out of your mobile presence. Contact ZAG Interactive today to get started.